Bosch vs. other make injectors

Jurgen Hartwig jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com
Sun Oct 29 21:57:27 GMT 2000

> With the editors, and hacs, would could you be missing.  Heck there
are even
> free editors.  These aftermarkets, how much, and if it goes south
what do
> you do?.

Well, SDS has a group buy going on now that gives the ECU, wiring,
some sensors, and entire waste-spark ignition for $907 for 4 cylinder
cars.  SDS prides themselves on their service, so I would think I'd be
in good hands, vs. racking my brain with GMECM.  I'll be honest.   I
am no electronics guru.  I know enough about car electronics to do
what I need.  I would rather be working for myself, earning $xx.xx/hr,
vs. spending 40+ hours figuring out a GM ECU.  I tried reading the
archives.  I understand many things, but some things throw me for a
loop.  I am too intimidated to ask here in the mailing list.

I don't remember the exact numbers for GM ECU, but I believe the
burners and tools for doing my own ECU would be anywhere from
$100-200.  Then I am looking at a GM setup from a junkyard for what,
$100-200.

> > Anyway, SDS recommends Bosch or Nippondenso injectors, since they
are
> > less prone to fouling and clogging.  Before this, I was prepared
> > grab a set from a GM or Ford.  Any comments on quality or design?
>
> Like they know more then GM?.
> I doubt it,  so they happen to sell injectors?
> 99% of the time, the fuel is just sprayed at a closed valve, so
pattern cone
> size, yada yada is really over hyped in my book......

I never said SDS was smarter than GM.  I was merely reiterated what
was stated on their site.  They "recommended" certain injectors, but
did not prohibit, GM or MSD ball-type injectors.

> Just makes ya wonder if they are discontinuing a certain model, and
what
> will future support be for it.  I'd like to know how many PO'd
Fueltronic
> ecm owners there are.

I haven't met any dissatisfied SDS users yet.

> Done right (with the right model, of webers) little difference in
the fuel
> side of things.  Timing is another matter
> Bruce

I think one of the plusses of GM fuel injection is the fact they put
more work and features into their FI.  They are certainly tuned for
more driveability on street than aftermarket ECUs.  The Webers are
nice, but I am looking for something which will give me better
economy, better ignition control, and more flexibility when I
eventually upgrade to a turbocharger.  My amatuer calculations show I
can get into fuel injection for around $500-700, after I sell my
carbs.  For me, this is not a great price for the gains listed above.
Yes, I could go with GM parts for several hundred less, but  I feel
aftermarket setup gives me a setup which is easier to get operational
in shorter time.  I can spend this extra time working, and then the
price savings are nil.  I know I can be wrong.

Jay