Bosch vs. other make injectors

Jurgen Hartwig jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com
Mon Oct 30 15:26:15 GMT 2000

>I do, however, have to side with Bruce on one point.
> Subsequent diagnosis, service, and spare parts availability may be a
PITA
> unless you are willing to undertake this all by yourself and then
possibly
> wait until parts can be sourced thru SDS (for those that are not OE
> generic).  For a "toy" this is okay, but for a regular driver this
may not
> be.

Walt, thanks for the reply.  The only thing that appears to be
proprietary would be their ECU.  Since I will be mounting it in the
cabin, I hope it won't be subjected to any stresses.  Is ECU failure a
significant concern?  There is a shop in FL that specializes in diesel
and air-cooled turbocharging and has specific experience with SDS
products.  I have already emailed them, and they knew about my
specific needs, before I even gave them details.

This Porsche will be a semi-daily driver.  I am self-employed, so
there is no such thing as a daily-driver for me, but I hope fuel
injection proves to be reliable.

> On the injector front, your options are wide open, and I would
**strongly**
> suggest reading & researching as much as possible before locking
your focus
> on one particular flavour or vendor of injector.  Subtle things like
spray
> pattern, duty cycle, coil impedance, pressure, targeting, check
meter
> design, director,  and packaging all make a huge difference in the
long run.

I have ordered Kinsler's catalog and later I will consult with Kinsler
and RC Engineering about my needs.  I really need to think about spray
pattern.  The stock FI on these cars sprays the fuel at the back of
the valve.  Common sense says I can use an injector with a tight spray
pattern, so that all the fuel hits the valve, right?

I'm heading to a junkyard today to study some cars.  Hopefully,
they'll let me in the yard.  We don't have u-pull-it yards around
here, and I am not sure if the owners will let me go sniffing around
in their yards.

I'm about 1/3 through 1999 DIY-EFI archives (over2000 pages) and am
picking up good info.  I still don't have the confidence to tackle GM
FI.  Like Bruce has said before, I am looking to pay big dollars for
the silver bullet.  If I can get good, adjustable ignition system and
fuel delivery which is good under all conditions, unlike carbs, then I
will consider my project a success.

Regards
Jay