converting carb to an 'airdoor'

Ross Corrigan 280zx at home.com
Fri Sep 22 18:41:23 GMT 2000

Hello, I was subbed a while ago and just resubbed.

I searched the archives and couldn't find anything on this topic.  My goal
is to create a multiport EFI system for my chevy 350 sb in my 280zx
(2900lbs bare).  motor is by design (ie. once it's all tweaked) ~420hp at
flywheel, no plans to go over 450 as a top limit.  I have a Victor Jr.
Intake I like and it's available over the winter for machining injector
bungs etc. I've been thinking of picking up a used DFI ECU/controller or
speedpro unit as one comes available.

Reccomendations have been to buy SVO 36lb injectors (30lb said to go to
425hp, I prefer to build over if no penalty), which appear to be available
used for fair pricing.  (found a set for $200US, is that a fair used price?)

One item that could be a large part of the budget is the 'airdoor'/throttle
body I use.  New ones I've seen run $500US and up for what just looks like
1/2 a carbeurator with a TPS setup and often an IAC motor.  It's this area
I'm exploring right now and wondering if anyone's converted carbeurators to
act as air doors (ie. remove venturis etc, mount up TPS) and if so how
would you best reccomend handling an idle control?  any and all info welcome
I already have a few qjets (all 750's) and 2 Holley 1850's (600cfm model)
that could be donors.

thanks in advance