Surface Mount Components

J. Creech jcreech1 at olemac.net
Mon Sep 25 03:36:40 GMT 2000

OK, kinda got a little problem. I have an EPROM ECU out of a '91 Mitsu
Eclipse GSX, 2.0L Turbo AWD. The power filter capacitors went bad, started
leaking electrolyte all over the pcb. The stuff has eaten through the
conformal coating, and under two of the caps has eaten through the traces.
 I think I can patch the traces, but here is where I run into my problem.
There are 2 seperate surface-mount capacitors that are a little on the
toasty side, I believe from being mounted across the same bus as the worst
of the electrolytic caps. I want to replace these when I perform the repair.
The hitch is this: they're unmarked.
 I have little to no experience with surface-mounts. I try to stay away from
them as my hand is so shaky I nearly can't work on the standard stuff. But,
in this case I'm making an exception.
 My question is, how are these things identified? Both of them are the same
color (kinda medium brown) and the same size. There are also others on the
board that look identical to them, as well as others that are different
colors, sizes, etc. Can I safely assume that all the ones of the same
size/color are the same value (within a certain tolerance)? Can I use other
S.M. components (off of other techno-debris I have laying around) that are
same size/color?
 I hate to bug you guys, but I'm not finding answers in the places I'm
looking. (Hmmmn. might be the wrong places, ya think?)
 Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Scott Creech