Chrysler EFI?

J. Creech jcreech1 at olemac.net
Fri Aug 10 16:29:59 GMT 2001

> Hi there,
>
> I hope this is not way off topic for this list.  I have a Chrysler LA
> 318 (1978) on which I'd like to install EFI, preferably a multipoint
> system.  Does anyone here know about the compatibility of the later model
> (ie Magnum 5.2, 5.7) intakes with the LA 318?  (ie will a MPFI intake
> from a late model truck bolt up to my 318?)
>
> Peter

Sorry, no it won't bolt up. The 5.2 and 5.9 Magnums use a different angle to
the intake bolts, similar to the Ford 302. Also, I think the pattern and
port location differs slightly. You would have to get a couple of Magnum
heads, then you'd run into other problems. The LA engines oil through the
head, into the rocker rail pedestal. Magnums oil like Chevy engines, through
the pushrod. There is a fix for this, though. Use AMC lifters for the 390,
as they oil through the pushrod, and are the same diameter, and custom
pushrods ( if I remember correctly, the cup is different, or you'd be able
to use the Magnum pushrods).

Scott Creech