Ign Advance on MR-2

Diehl, Jeffrey jdiehl at sandia.gov
Sat Aug 11 06:42:52 GMT 2001

Hi all.

I'm still learning, so be gentle... <grin>

I've got an '87 MR-2 and I'm trying to figure out how it effects timing
advancement.  It has 2 wheels in the distributor, one with 4 teeth, the
other with 1.  The single-toothed wheel is probably used to run the tach and
is slightly offset from the cooresponding tooth on the 4-tooth wheel.

Now the teeth on the 4-tooth wheel pass by what looks like a magnetic pickup
and I presume that this gives the ECM the baseline timing.  However, it also
passes by what looks like a small magnet which is attached to the pickup.

There are no vacuum lines, so it is not doing vacuum advance.  The only
moving part is the shaft on which the two wheels move.

So, my question is: How does this mechanism manage to advance the spark?

Thanx for any input.
Mike Diehl.