NTK UEGO calibration

Barry Tisdale btisdale at cybersol.com
Wed Aug 22 01:36:29 GMT 2001

Heater in the WB sensor *will* ignite a propane or butane mix w/ air -
detonate is more like it.  Did that.

I'm just a minor in chem from 40 years ago, so its a bit misty....really
dunno how these things work.

I used argon/CO2 MIG mix to get stoich; ran a couple of WBs, compared to
the switching of a NB sensor.  Used a 1 qt Mason jar w/ holes in the lid
for the sensors & small hole to admit gasses.  Convection from the
heater(s) mixes things well, adding a very small muffin fan didn't change
anything.  Starting w/ air in the jar (offscale lean), running argon in,
AFRs fall to 14.7:1.  Adding propane or butane at this point is safe, but
doesn't take much to *really* swing the AFR rich.  Far as I can tell, *no*
O2 and *no* hydrocarbon = stoich - add either O2 or hydrocarbon gas to get
the full range of AFRs.

Short of a bomb deal, I couldn't come up w/ a reproducable means of mixing
known amounts of gasses & come up w/ a 'cal' gas.  These are available
commercially, mostly for EPA stuff & come w/ all sorts of assays &
certificates w/ a price tag to match - try BOP gasses.

Barry