Dissassembling BINS

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Wed Aug 22 04:52:10 GMT 2001

Christian (who's in digest mode), let me answer this, please.

Bruce wrote:

> Could we have a short explaination of what a Code Entry Point is?.

The processor has to "start" somewhere when it is first fired up
(ie. you switch on the IGN). Motorola uses the convention that
the last 16 bit word (address $FFFE) holds a value that is fetched
and plugged into the PC, and the CPU starts executing from that
address. $FFFE is called the reset vector, and the reset vector
can be thought of as an "entry point" to the actual BIN's code
(that's the CPU's code, not the "code" that a lot of people talk
about when they mean the CPU's data area, ie. the "calibration
data" area).

There are other vectors at the end of RAM (ie the $FFxx area), and
these point to entry points within the code.

I would venture that most vehicles use a Motorola, or Motorola
clone processor, but there are some Intel (or should I say
non-Motorola ;-) processors out there, and they probably don't use
this same scheme of having a vector table at the end of RAM.

Peter.