Ign Advance on MR-2

Diehl, Jeffrey jdiehl at sandia.gov
Wed Aug 22 08:03:21 GMT 2001

I've heard a lot of talk about magnetic reluctor sensors and the associated
circuitry.  What about a Infra-Red emitter/receiver pair who's output goes
through a Schmitt trigger?  This seems easier to design around...  What am I
missing?

I could have two wheels attached to the crank pulley, one with 1 tooth, and
one with 4 teeth.  I might have to run the output through a flip-flop to
reduce the frequency 1/2...  Then use a 2-bit counter to select one of 4
transisters to turn on, which in turn charge/discharge the coil.

This seems simple, actually.  Am I missing something?

I can't use the cam gears for timing, because we intend to adjust the cam
timing on the fly; this is why we need to build a circuit which emulates the
distributer, which is run off the exhaust cam.

As you can see, we have suffered from feature creap.  We started out simply
wanting to emulate the distributor, now we are talking about a 4-coil DIS.
<evil grin>

Any comments are more than welcome.

Thanx,
Mike Diehl.