Fuel octane question

Chris Wilson chris at formula3.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Aug 24 00:46:58 GMT 2001

Question from the UK. Over here our petrol station pumps indicate octane
by law. We measure using the RON octane method and number. In the USA
they use MON + RON divided by 2. As near as is practical how would the
US see our Super Unleaded pump fuel, advertised as 97 RON?

I am building a Mazda rotary turbo and want to know how the US would
"see" the octane of our 97 RON Super Unleaded to see if the engine is
viable on our best street pump fuel, all octane references I can find
and trust are from the US.

Thanks.

--
Best regards,