Computing MPH

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Tue Aug 28 02:58:13 GMT 2001

Steve,

You may remember from physics class,

Velocity = Acceleration X Time + the starting Velocity

That's for a fixed A, if it varies, you need to integrate.

V =  starting V + integral of A over time

Suppose you get a reading of A 100 times a second.
Take each reading (in feet/second squared) and multiply
it by the time (.01 second).  This answer is the change
in Velocity  (in feet/second) during this 1/100 of a second.
Add this to all the other changes in V (add a new one each
1/100 second) plus the V before you started computing,
and you have the present V.  Adding the initial V is another
way of saying set the sum to zero before you start, if from
a standing start.

You don't have to compute in feet and seconds, but you
need compatible units to get the right answer.  I doubt
your G meter reads out in miles/hour squared.  I'd convert
to MPH at the end; 88 feet/sec = 60 MPH.

Bruce Roe