junkyard 396ss coolant advice

James Northrup james_northrup at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 16:10:16 GMT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-diy_efi at diy-efi.org [mailto:owner-diy_efi at diy-efi.org]On
Behalf Of Shirley, Mark R
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 7:44 AM
To: 'diy_efi at diy-efi.org'
Subject: RE: junkyard 396ss coolant advice

>The water pump is belted to the crank pulley - is it tight?  1/4 -1/2in
deflection at mid span?

no play at all, its tottally tight.

>Do you have a water temp gauge on it, and what does it read?

i have been unable to convince any mechanic to date to hook up the temp
senders to the existing inactive guage while they're in there screwing
around.  this car has been held hostage by mechanics on serious afflictions
of tranny, diff, rod bearings, you name it.  I have had the priveledge of
driving it on the old 2:73 gears for a few weeks but it has been undergoing
major surgery ever since mid-may.  if you find yourself in a bind in
tallahasee, tow the fucking car as far from the mechanics in that town as
you can afford.

>If your thermostat is set at 195, the engine will run 10-15 degrees
higher than this, unless your radiator is too low capacity,
then it will run higher until the difference in temperature between
the radiator and the ambient is great enough to shed the heat the
engine is making.  Do not take the thermostat out!  It keeps the coolant
flowing so fast through the engine that engine heat cannot be transferred
correctly to the coolant.

>You probably need a new larger radiator.

>The mechanic who leaned your mixture out to avoid 'dogging' the engine,
sounds like an idiot.  Leaner mixtures will cause the engine to run hotter.
Add fuel to cool the engine.

after a $2300 longblock operation he didn't have the common courtesy to
torque down the distributor, the headers, the bellhousing or its two missing
bolts, and felt he should hook the vacuum advance to the manifold at the
spacerplate instead of the carb advance tube.  so...

as the distributor shakes itself loose, it would retard the timing, and cook
the motor.  and as the throttle is applied the timing would fall far short
of the advance of normal running rpms, even if the distributor didn't do its
job the extra heat on the lean mixture just might.