junkyard 396ss coolant advice

James Northrup james_northrup at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 19:43:26 GMT 2001

--0-1812256437-999027794=:55800

 The pulley is stock, i have no doubt.  the same for the crank pulley.  the ratio of size looks closer to 1:1 than anything else, though im positive the water pump is slightly smaller.  the belt is tiny, it only spans 6 inches or so (iirc).
I also still have the shroud, and again, though I have requrested numerous times that I'd like the shroud on with the new electric fan, looks like I'll have to take care of it myself.  the existing fan was nothing but noise, no clutch.  the fan roar exceeded the open holley and loud exhaust combined.  perhaps that much air made up some ground against the 2-core?  it seemed completely overkill.
  David Hunt <bamainc at home.com> wrote: Just a note, too fast causes cavitation and is a worse problem than too slow
because the water pump is heating the water as well as the engine. Use the
stock fan ratio and you'll be okay in the beginning.

dh

> This would be a really good start! The other thing you want to do is be
> sure that the water pump pulley to crankshaft pulley diameter ratio hasn't
> been dorkomaticked by this jerk! If the water pump isn't turning fast
> enough, it ain't gonna cool properly.

Make international calls for as low as $0.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger.
--0-1812256437-999027794=:55800

<P> The pulley is stock, i have no doubt.&nbsp; the same&nbsp;for the crank pulley.&nbsp; the ratio of size looks closer to 1:1 than anything else, though im positive the water pump is slightly smaller.&nbsp; the belt is tiny, it only spans 6 inches or so (iirc).&nbsp;
<P>I also still have the shroud, and again, though I have requrested numerous times that I'd like the shroud on with the new electric fan, looks like I'll have to take care of it myself.&nbsp; the existing fan was nothing but noise, no clutch.&nbsp; the fan roar exceeded the open holley and loud exhaust combined.&nbsp; perhaps that much air made up some ground against the 2-core?&nbsp; it seemed completely overkill.
<P>&nbsp; <B><I>David Hunt &lt;bamainc at home.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:
Make <a href="http://phonecard.yahoo.com/">international calls</a> for as low as $0.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger.
--0-1812256437-999027794=:55800--