junkyard 396ss coolant advice

Shirley, Mark R MarkRShirley at eaton.com
Tue Aug 28 20:32:31 GMT 2001

You need a restriction in the system so that the coolant will not cycle
through so
fast.  The engine will not operate efficiently at lower temps. Cylinder bore
wear
increases as an inverse square of the engine temp.  If you run your engine
without
a thermostat, you run cooler true, but your cylinder wear will be very high.
The racer
types used to put a little disc with a hole in it in place of the thermostat
back
in the old days for this function.  Up until about 2-3 years ago, I was
still
seeing this disc in the Summit catalogs.  Maybe they use thermostats now.