WB & logging

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 29 02:04:38 GMT 2001

Bruce tapped away at the keyboard with:
> > The Aquamist is actually able to drop the MAT below ambient w/
> > boost up to 16# - at 20#, I get about a 30° rise from 16# to
> > 20#.
> > Barry

> Approach ambient I can grasp, to get below I still don't get the
> mechanics of it.  I can see it acting as a *chiller* and getting
> the metal around the sensor that cold, but the air is there for
> such a short period of time, I just can't get it.

Latent heat of evaporation. Depending on the initial moisture
content there can be a nett evaporative cooling. The type of water
injection is critical as to how rapidly the evaporation takes place.
(Droplet size, flow direction - to increase distance and hence time,
etc.)

It's well within the realms of possibility to add 30g of water per
kg or air, if the inlet air is fairly dry. (Equivalent to about 7
points reduction in octane number requirement.) The air temperature
after cooling should be above 25C for fuel vapourization. However,
more water can be added at higher temperatures and this seems to be
more beneficial when trying to reduce the ONR.

There is a compromise between charge density and knock reduction. If
timing is advanced so far that you get maximum torque without knock,
then the charge density can be raised; either by charge cooling or
by increased boost pressure.

--
 /"\  Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |