DIY-WB vs. Don't DIY

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Aug 29 06:20:43 GMT 2001

David Hunt wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I know that BP had some significant input, but he was ragging heavily on
> others.  I was only one of those that he went after.  Not everyone can
> solder, and some shouldn't solder.

This WB sensor has been boiled down to a basic project that will be easier to do
than many tuning jobs.  Without even trying to do the work, some folks
immediately started asking about people to assemble the kits.  And others
started offering to accept money to do the work.  An attitude like that would
have killed the WB in it's infancy.  In fact, it did kill the WB project once.

> Not everyone should write software and
> some shouldn't write software.....etc.
Ok.  Here ya go.

About 2 years ago I was talking with a lister who'd written some simple software
for looking up basic calibration info.  I told him I didn't think I'd ever be
able to do anything that.  Does that sound like "some people shouldn't write
software" attitude to you?  That's how I felt.  Well, This gentleman said
"You're right as long as you don't try."

Yup, he was right.  So I started learning.  Here's where I'm at right now.
http://holman.cs.uml.edu/~sdurphey/bccfind/
Pretty plain, and a few guys on the list have offered to help improve the looks
of it. (Thanks, BTW, to those people).  But consider that I had to learn some C
programming, and some HTML, and some Linux and Unix, and what CGI is, and
assemble a database, and spend countless hours testing and re-writing, and you
can see what I was really able to accomplish once I got started.

By asking for and then paying someone else to assemble your kit, you're missing
an opportunity.  I had no idea how much I'd like writing code.  And I had no
idea what I could do when I started trying to write the lookup utility.  If I'd
found someone else to write the program for me, I'd still be depending on them
when I needed the next program written.  I agree with Bruce.  Spend the time to
try, and if you mess up try again.  Give it an honest effort before you convince
yourself you can't do it.

And don't worry too much about what the other guys on the list can or can't do.
Really.  They'll survive.  There's always someone waiting to help the helpless
by taking their money.  It's just too bad that the DIY-WB is now a tool for
that.

> Who is the moderator of the diy_efi list?
Generally we don't need the moderator to become involved.  There's been few
flame wars, and there's very few folks that like to engage in pissing contests
here.  Much of what causes hurt feelings can be traced to two different styles
of communicating that don't necessarily blend well.

Shannen