Suzuki CDI information

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Wed Aug 29 12:02:19 GMT 2001

> From: Bert Bakker [mailto:bert.bakker at bakker-it.nl]
> Subject: RE: Suzuki CDI information
>
> Ok, I understand I have to put the unit for a day in the
> freezer. Do I get
> it right than that the unit is not completely filled up with this
> filling-stuff? They made only a lid? Does it make sense to drill holes
> around the "lid's" edge?

I took apart my Suzuki TL1000R ECU by cutting apart the casing to expose the
potted board, and then soaked it in naptha for about a week to loosen up the
potting material.  Since the case was filled with the potting material, it
would have been nearly impossible to extract it by any other method.  It was
a terrible pain in the butt.

> Can you tell me a little bit more over what I will find
> inside? Is there a
> microprocessor? Editable code? Or only standard electronics?

My ECU has some unidentifed micro, and the manufacturer placed epoxy around
the perimeter to avoid any sort of tracing of the pin-out.  There doesn't
appear to be any external EPROM, and it seems as if there's only a few bytes
of EEPROM that are actually accessable by factory equipment.  I'm almost
thinking that the micro's program and calibration parameters are contained
in masked ROM, with a bit of EEPROM for idle tuning and gross mixture
changes.

I haven't gotten anywhere further with this part.

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.bryantperformance.com