DFI was RE: Orbital

James Northrup james_northrup at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 15:22:26 GMT 2001

my pop knows a fellow in or around ypsi michigan whose father succeeded in
putting together a small block chevy that ran on coal dust and methanol, got
50+ mpg, and pushed 540 horses on the dyno.

the man is in his 60's now, his father, the engineer, had it tested and
examined by GM, who said, "that's nice".

the interesting feature of the motor was that it ran on glow plugs with
direct fuel injection much like a diesel, as I understand it.  Oil was
metered into the valve as part of the fuel squirt, fuel would ride along and
be pushed into the cylinder by an oil-filled diaphragm.

the man won't sell the motor, he's got no interest in proving anything to
the world as i understand it.

interesting tidbit.  take it for entertainment value.