Intake manifold construction, intercoolers

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Tue Dec 4 13:55:29 GMT 2001

It's normally from the TB, but in your case the I/C will be your *choke*
point.   So I'd say only the area below the I/C and not including the
runners would be your plenum area.  BUT, even that will be inaccurate, since
so much of the air will be having to bend with that much more inertia to it.
You probably have great distribution, but limited total flow.

The whole idea (at least in my mind) is to have as large as area for any
opening valve can open to.  All your wave tuning and related theory is grand
for N/A and low boost situations, when you starting to get serious with HP,
you want even distribution, the boost is going to take care of your cylinder
filling.  If you need an incredible amount of tip in response then you'll
want to optimize the runners cross sectional area, lenght and get into the
wave tuning of things.  Also,, a higher compression ratio, and begin trading
in all you HP generating strategies.

In looking at some late model race car plenums the are large ugly things.
they are worried more about volume, then the wave motion thru the plenum, at
least the way it looks to me.
Bruce
   All this talk about waves, has the lil guys yelling surfs up, and
checking the tire inflation on the boat trailer.

From: "Bernd Felsche" <bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au>
Subject: Re: Intake manifold construction, intercoolers