Seeking a little advice on EFI project

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Wed Dec 5 01:06:32 GMT 2001

"Tomas J. Sokorai Sch." wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 November 2001 20:49, Sam Weatherby wrote:
> > I am putting a 400 into a '65 f100.
> > initially I am using a Tb from a "CFI" 5.0 HO. This has 20 ~50 lb\hr
> > injectors and will be fine for awhile.
> >
> do you know what models/years vehicles to look in the junkyard for this TB?

The HO CFI 5.0's seem to be rare.  I think they were an option only on
the Thunderbird.  Until I found the engine I really wanted, I was
checking the junkyards for HO CFI's.  I think I found two such cars -
one missing the whole engine, the other missing the injectors.

The CFI's are found on RWD V8 passanger cars.  I think CFI was standard
equipment in 1984-85 except on cop cars.  It was optional in earlier
years, but that was with earlier electronics.

> > Instead of reinventing the wheel, why not swap over the fuel injection
> > from an EFI 302?  You have three choices (and sub choices within those):
>
> is the stock ECU hackable enough?... I want to write my own code, not only
> modify the data tables.

The Ford EEC-IV isn't as hackable as GM.  But it has been hacked, and
there is a commercial product for tuning certain EECs.  Check the EEC
mailing list.  I don't know the subscribe address, but here's a hint:

 For additional commands, e-mail: eec-help at eelink.net

Also check out:

 http://www.eec-tuner.com/

> I guess that the idea of stripping the EFI components of a later 302 is
> pretty good for the TB, sensors, gas lines and pump, but for the ECU I guess
> it is more a "personal achievement" thing :)

To change the code in an EEC requires some circuit construction -
perhaps 20 TTL type chips or one CPLD.  Plenty of personal achievement there.

> The other thing is that maybe it's easier for me to put stuff from other,
> more common engines in my efi project, because in my country, Ford 302s are
> scarce as hen's teeth, so the search for a donor engine for a ready EFI will
> be "the neverending story" :)

What country is ".cl"?

I guess that advice on what fuel tanks, fuel senders, fuel pumps,
brackets, and etc. to use won't be useful.