CVT (was:Intake manifold construction, intercoolers)

Craig Dotson crdotson at vt.edu
Thu Dec 6 14:08:37 GMT 2001

> You don't see many high power CVTs as the people who drive sports cars
like
> to change gears manually.

I think it has something to do with losses.  You don't see many racers with
auto trannies do you?  They're like 20-25% losses.  CVTs are in the
neighborhood of 30%, where manuals are maybe 10%?  I haven't seen a good
figure for auto manuals...the sequential 6spds in motorcycles are said to be
about 5% loss.  If I could get 15%+ power back by going to a manual from an
auto I'd do it...and not just so I'll have something for my left foot to do.

Craig Dotson
crdotson at vt.edu
2002 VT FormulaSAE