Spark plugs

bill.shurvinton at nokia.com bill.shurvinton at nokia.com
Fri Dec 7 09:23:44 GMT 2001

Hi,

Back to DIY with a quick theory question on spark plugs. I was reading
some conjecture
somewhere that plugs with >1 ground strap actually shroud the spark and
that you would get improved performance by grinding off the extra
straps. Proviso being that if you go from 4 straps to 1 you also get a
4:1 drop in plug life.

On the face of it this sounds correct, but my spark propagation theory
is lacking a tad so I wondered if the old hands (OK Bruce) had any
thoughts or practical experience on this.

On a related topic for those of us who are still new to the arcane arts,
is there a good primer on how to tell if you plugs are too hot/cold. It
seems to be one of those areas where it's deemed that if you don't know
then you shouldn't be messing with them. All I know is that mine are
well worn after 2000 miles, which seems to indicate something is wrong.

Rgds

Bill