Intake manifold construction, intercoolers

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 8 07:43:52 GMT 2001

Greg Hermann tapped away at the keyboard with:

> >What does an emission-compliant carb cost, that delivers a better
> >fuel consumption, driveability and performance from cold start, to
> >hot start, to hot run (let alone emisssions) and never requires
> >adjustment?

> HEY--at least now, we are admitting that its emission requirments that
> drove things to EFI !!

Quote selectively, and you can prove anything you like.

Ignore the other factors if it's convenient to you.

Remember how I said early on in this discussion that (real)
Engineers have a compulsion to improve things? Reducing emissions is
one of those things that can be improved. It doesn't really need
government requirements to make that happen. Regulations do help the
Engineers _justify_ to the beancounters the need to put the
more-advanced technology on the mass market.

> Funny how we switch arguments when it suits us, ain't it??

Let's see; the average joker puts their carb'd car in a workshop for
2 hours of tuneup every 5000 km... That's adding like 2 cents a km
to the running cost of the car, before we consider that the carb
engine would consume between 20% and 50% more fuel for the same
duty.

Drive 30,000km a year and EFI saves around 1200 litres in fuel a
year (for a car like mine, yours may average more than 8 l/100km)
and 4 extra days without car). That's well over $1000 EFI's saving
me every year.

Low emissions don't _sell_ cars. Not for the masses.

It's low costs to buy, and low costs to own. Fuel and maintenance
are significant expenses.