Reasonably priced at 2 million dollars??

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 8 07:54:27 GMT 2001

Shannen Durphey tapped away at the keyboard with:

> > > What are you, on freaking drugs?
> >
> > They are streetable cars. That's what was asked. Just because
> > they're espen$ive doesn't mean that they're not streetable.

> Nothing was asked.  The original statement was "The best
> performing Reasonably priced car in the world today still uses an
> OHV engine."

> The car you're talking about is not reasonably priced.

What's a reasonable price for a streetable car that'll do more than 400kmh?

To put it another way; if you were "worth" $500 million, would the
Veyron seem to be reasonably-priced at a million Euro?

> > And your 200mph nascars are equipped a full luxury cars as well,
> Nope.  Pointless waste of arse warmers and walnut cupholders.

> > meet all emission and crash requirements?
> They meet the emissions requirements they're designed to meet.
> They hold up sufficiently in lap after lap of abuse.  And the
> Bugatti?  Statistically cars in that price range do not meet
> emissions requirements.  The manufacturer simply pays the fines
> required by the government in the country where the car is sold.

Bugatti Veyron will exceed requirements of Euro-4

> And I wonder how well the Bugatti will hold up in the same
> conditions "my" nascar racer is designed for.

> > They're air conditioned?
> Nope.  And it gets pretty damn hot in those fire suits.  But my
> personal car isn't air conditioned either so I don't consider that
> a necessary portion of the definition of a reasonably priced
> streetable car.

> > Leather seats?

> What has leather to do with "a car capable of speeds close to
> 400kmh and still driveable around town" ?

It adds mass and underscores that it's a car designed for everyday
use.

> > They go around real corners too?

> Yeah... Those turns at the end of the track?  They don't really
> exist.  Those boys run for 200 straight miles and everything is
> done with camera tricks.  Last race in the Poconos found the boys
> finishing in New York.  Was ok though, since it was a straight
> line from there to the next race.

> > And along normal, bumpy roads?
> Yep, you can drive those cars along normal, bumpy roads.  In fact,
> the road I'm speaking about was resurfaced for the first time
> since 1988, so the cars running the course were driven along 90
> miles of normal, bumpy roads.

> Here's a link to the race page.
> http://www.silverstateclassic.com/home.htm

> A look through previous years' race reslts shows that former stock
> cars dominate the unlimited speed class, topping Porsche CTRs,
> twin turbos, and other exotic cars.  Some time spent reading about
> the race and the participants should give you an appreciation of
> how adaptable the old stock cars are.

> > You can drive them down to the corner shop?
> I work at a corner shop (literally and figuratively) where race
> cars are built and repaired.  We fix them right along side VW's.
> Really.  We even keep parts in stock for 'em.

> > The Veyron will be a proper, road-going car.
>
> It will not be repairable at the corner shop, it will not be
> reasonably priced, and it may not even be found in this country.

Take a look in Bill Gates' garage in 2003.

> It does not represent a good argument that the best performing
> reasonably priced cars are not using OHV engines.

> And it is no less specialized than the nascar cars.  Fewer than
> .0000001% of the world population will own one, they will not be
> produced in larger volume than the nascar cars, and as yet they
> are nothing more than a promise of performance.  The nascar racer
> should be considered in this comparison.

> > It's a bit dark at the moment. (1 a.m.)
> With this comment I'm beginning to gain some insight into Bernd Felsch.

Timezones? I was asked the colour of the sky. You ask, you get an
answer that may be more correct than what you counted on.

> > > $150k US dollars for the "Buy it, don't build it" crowd.
> >
> > ?? $150k US won't buy you one.

> It will.   You're wrong.  $150k US will buy an emissions legal car

I didn't say the bit your quoted. You've lost the attribution.

> that meets US crashworthiness specifications, exceeds federal
> braking requirements, comes with computer aided handling and
> traction control, leather seats, air conditioning, cd player, and
> all sorts of other nonsense.  And it's made in the US.  And it
> approaches speeds close to 400km/hr.  *And* it sports an OHV
> engine.  **And** it's design actually has some relation to the
> original subject line "intake manifold construction."

> Care to make a guess as to which vehicle?

Forgive me if I don't care.