Reasonably priced at 2 million dollars??

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sat Dec 8 07:55:10 GMT 2001

Bernd Felsche wrote:

> > > Bugatti Veyron. You got the $2 million? Bugatti's taking orders.
> >
> > What are you, on freaking drugs?
>
> They are streetable cars. That's what was asked. Just because
> they're espen$ive doesn't mean that they're not streetable.

Nothing was asked.  The original statement was "The best performing Reasonably
priced car in the world today still uses an OHV engine."

The car you're talking about is not reasonably priced.

> And your 200mph nascars are equipped a full luxury cars as well,
Nope.  Pointless waste of arse warmers and walnut cupholders.

> meet all emission and crash requirements?
They meet the emissions requirements they're designed to meet.  They hold up
sufficiently in lap after lap of abuse.  And the Bugatti?  Statistically cars in
that price range do not meet emissions requirements.  The manufacturer simply
pays the fines required by the government in the country where the car is sold.
And I wonder how well the Bugatti will hold up in the same conditions "my"
nascar racer is designed for.

> They're air conditioned?
Nope.  And it gets pretty damn hot in those fire suits.  But my personal car
isn't air
conditioned either so I don't consider that a necessary portion of the
definition of a reasonably priced streetable car.

> Leather seats?
What has leather to do with "a car capable of speeds close to 400kmh and still
driveable around town" ?

> They go around real corners too?
Yeah... Those turns at the end of the track?  They don't really exist.  Those
boys run for 200 straight miles and everything is done with camera tricks.  Last
race in the Poconos found the boys finishing in New York.  Was ok though, since
it was a straight line from there to the next race.

> And along normal,
> bumpy roads?
Yep, you can drive those cars along normal, bumpy roads.  In fact, the road I'm
speaking about was resurfaced for the first time since 1988, so the cars running
the course were driven along 90 miles of normal, bumpy roads.

Here's a link to the race page.
http://www.silverstateclassic.com/home.htm

A look through previous years' race reslts shows that former stock cars dominate
the unlimited speed class, topping Porsche CTRs, twin turbos, and other exotic
cars.  Some time spent reading about the race and the participants should give
you an appreciation of how adaptable the old stock cars are.

> You can drive them down to the corner shop?
I work at a corner shop (literally and figuratively) where race cars are built
and repaired.  We fix them right along side VW's.  Really.  We even keep parts
in stock for 'em.

> The Veyron will be a proper, road-going car.

It will not be repairable at the corner shop, it will not be reasonably priced,
and it may not even be found in this country.  It does not represent a good
argument that the best performing reasonably priced cars are not using OHV
engines.

And it is no less specialized than the nascar cars.  Fewer than .0000001% of the
world population will own one, they will not be produced in larger volume than
the nascar cars, and as yet they are nothing more than a promise of
performance.  The nascar racer should be considered in this comparison.

> It's a bit dark at the moment. (1 a.m.)
With this comment I'm beginning to gain some insight into Bernd Felsch.

> > $150k US dollars for the "Buy it, don't build it" crowd.
>
> ?? $150k US won't buy you one.

It will.   You're wrong.  $150k US will buy an emissions legal car that meets US
crashworthiness specifications, exceeds federal braking requirements, comes with
computer aided handling and traction control, leather seats, air conditioning,
cd player,
and all sorts of other nonsense.  And it's made in the US.  And it approaches
speeds close to 400km/hr.  *And* it sports an OHV engine.  **And** it's design
actually has some relation to the original subject line "intake manifold
construction."

Care to make a guess as to which vehicle?

Shannen