Thread drift (was: Intake manifold construction, intercoolers)

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sat Dec 8 07:30:13 GMT 2001

Bernd Felsche wrote:

> > Arnie the mathematician responds with:
>
> > I did very well in geometry while in H.S.  The term tangent comes to
> > mind.    A tangent waay out in the back 40.  (I also grew up on a farm).
>
> Well, some people keep on introducing hyperbole or react acutely
> at the same time being obtuse. :-)

And others, failing to see that that self imposed limits are integral to the
continuous function of two sided conversation, seem content to introduce an
infinite number of unrelated rationalizations into a thread.  While an
individual conversation should affect the exchange of information, in this
situation and with respect to noise, the value of the conversation quickly
dwindles to zero; invariably describing an unchanging and asymptotic condition
which generally equals the maximum contribution of the poster when considered
for the domain of the thread.

But I could be wrong.  Using the aforementioned hyperbole it just might be true
that some people constantly introduce a coefficient of irrelevance which simply
increases any noise level already present.  The end result is still the same.
The speed at which posts propogate may be higher, but there's no acceleration to
the growth of knowledge.  Total contribution is still zero.

> How long does a normal conversation stay on the original topic?
A normal conversation with whom?
Shannen