Sensor Question

Bob - Uni rcs07 at uow.edu.au
Tue Dec 11 03:24:25 GMT 2001

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for that guys, that was a top rundown for me.

Re Carters point about the frequency of input signals interfering more
than nescesary: I had considered this, and I was wondering how I would
set up all the interupt priorities etc etc. Obviously the timing of
the injectors and igntion are of crucial importance, but then again if
you miss reading a MAP sensor just as the throttle is undergoing
sudden change under big boost (or similar kind of extreme condition)
then you could also potentially be in for a bit of detination, or even
just irritating hesitation. Then I got to thinking about a modular
designed EFI computer, where there is a dedicated micro for input
signals, conditioning etc, a micro for the injecting, a micro for the
ignition, a micro for user interfacing etc etc, all working off a bus
using an agreed protocol. It seems like overkill, but you could use
markedly cheaper micros, simplifies problems like input interrupts
interfering with output interrupts etc, and also would allow one to
build an engine using a normal distributor and fuel injection, and
then later down the track as money, time, whatever was no longer an
issue, be able to just plug in another daughterboard for ignition, fit
the required external components, and save the hassle of buying
(building) a full new computer. Thoughts? Ideas?

Best regards,
 Bob                            mailto:rcs07 at uow.edu.au