Reasonably priced at 2 million dollars??

efi_student efi.student at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 11 02:39:07 GMT 2001

So the idea is a car available from an aftermarket tuner?  You guys
don't read much about imports.  There's an entire site devoted to late
model Toyota Supras that all make 650+ hp from 3 liters www.to4r.com and
most of these guys are using completely stock internals.  Of course,
Toyota uses that EPA mandated DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder.  Kinda
reminds me of the days when the GN first hit the streets and a lot of
the V-8 guys were furious at being beaten by a little V-6.  I might add
there are some GNs out there that accelerate at alarming rates too.  All
for a lot less than either of the cars you linked to.

And as amazing as it sounds, a Toyota Supra pulled 0.98g in C&D, Motor
Trend, and R&T, absolutely bone stock in 1993.  Motor Trend proclaimed
this same car "the best stopping car we have tested in the last 30
years" after repeated 60-0 stops in 116 ft.  It also bested the ZR-1
according to the same magazines in 1993, a car that cost 50% more.  The
late model Supra was the benchmark for C-5 development, and even has
received top honors for reliability in the premium sports car class.
Enough chest pounding.

Suffice it to say, if you are going to start talking about "tuned" cars
regardless of the developer, you are comparing apples and oranges.
That's no different than saying the Bugatti, Porsche GT-1, or Mercedes
CLK are not reasonably priced for the average human.  I sure wouldn't
spend almost $50k in modifications after coughing up the requisite
$40somethingK for the base car.  I'd have been a lot more agreeable had
you said the Z-06 Corvette, despite some quality problems, it is an
exceptionally capable automobile that is certainly reasonably
affordable, and meets all the other requirements of a fully DOT and EPA
compliant street vehicle.  Stock for stock, I don't think there is
anything out there that is as capable at a reasonable price.  As in all
cases, YMMV.

Lance