Turbo Chubby parts

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 11 14:40:42 GMT 2001

 & increases HP, by
>reducing charge temp (but I have a feeling that this one is open for major
>debate here).
>
>BW

Not quite what I have been trying to say.

The cooling during the compression stroke reduces the negative work taken
from the crank to do the compression significantly. The cooler peak temp
ALSO reduces the positive work available during the power stroke, but this
reduction is marginally less than the reduction in negative work mentioned
above. A slight net gain in output is the end result.

BUT--the lower peak temp ALSO results in less heat rejection to the water
jackets, which means some additional gain in power and efficiency will be
there.

The reduction in pressures that goes hand in hand with the lower temps
means lower friction and bearing loads, so more gains in power and
efficiency, as well as better mechanical durability.

The reduction in temps also translates to  better mechanical durability.

If you build the engine knowing you are going to use WI, you can also build
in a higher mechanical compression ratio (for the intended fuel), and reap
more power and efficiency gains there.

Try reading it this way, then argue away ! :-)

Greg