Starter Tooth Sensor Question

Orin orin at diy-efi.org
Wed Dec 12 20:14:50 GMT 2001

> Yes, even if a tooth is a bit battered, it only represents
> a couple of degrees.  Battered or not, it will not be
> moving into the position of an adjacent tooth.  And the
> the shaft runout should be pretty small compared to
> tooth dimensions.
>
> A PIC ought to do it, if it can match the top RPM rate.
> But I won't be knocking a tooth off it, so something
> else will be needed for sync on the flywheel, and a
> second crude sync from the cam/distributor.

Audi tubo engines use an extra pin in the rear of the flywheel
with a second sensor.  The pin is at 62 deg BTDC on Cyl 1
(it's silly to put the timing reference at TDC on any cyl -
put it at max advance plus calculation time BTDC - your choice
of cyl).  A single window hall sensor in the distributor takes
care of compression/exhaust stroke issues - the window is
20 degrees wide as I recall - distributor position isn't critical.

Orin.