WB O2 Success

Neil.Poersch at mts.mb.ca Neil.Poersch at mts.mb.ca
Thu Dec 13 01:39:50 GMT 2001

Hi Don,
Thanks for the input.  Yeah, 1.82 is about 11 AFR which is quite rich.  The
bike is not a smooth idling engine even at the best of times.  It is a big
twin cylinder Moto Guzzi so it doesn't have 4 or 6 cylinders to smooth
things out.  I always adjust the carbs' idle jets for the smoothest
possible idle so it appears that very rich is what it requires.

I was actually glad that the engine just ran that day, let alone idled
smoothly.  I hadn't run the engine since mid-Oct, when the cold weather
settled in. The choke was off when I took that reading.  I did flip the
choke on momentarily to try it....Had to blip the throttle to keep it
running and I saw an equivalent AFR of about  8 or 9:1.  I will wait until
next spring before I really worry about tuning anything with the WB O2
unit.

Neil

Congratulations, sounds great. Just a tuning question for you. How does
your bike idle? The 1.82v readout suggests it's quite rich. Perhaps it's
because of the cold ambient temp or was the choke still out at this point?

Cheers

Don
<