Shock Sensor Question

Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com
Thu Dec 13 23:07:08 GMT 2001

Don't know how you can record Digital pictures into an analog data recorder.

I have a multi channel 0-4V analog data recorder,  and am looking for a
cheap
way to monitor the position of my shocks on the launch and also down track.

The expensive way is to use the $180-$200 dollar linear position sensors, I
am just
looking for a cheaper way.  The budget wont allow for that expense when the
money
is needed else where on the car.

Thanks though.

BW???   The recorder can sample from 1 Hz to 1000 Hz max.

sf

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernd Felsche [mailto:bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 8:34 PM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: Shock Sensor Question

Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com tapped away at the keyboard with:

> Application is to monitor the shocks on our 1/4 mile car.  This
> way I can determine if I need an adjustment based on how the car
> is launching and driving down track.

> We can adjust both compression and extension of the shock, so it
> would be nice to see how the adjustments actually effect
> performance.  Tuning the start line reaction of a chassis is
> critical to maximizing the performance.

Consider a high-speed camera. Even a low-end camcorder delivers 50
or 60 fields per second (depending on video system). Plug the signal
into a computer (digital camcorder makes that easy) and measure the
displacement over time, from field to field.

What sort of bandwidth and displacement do you think you'll be
measuring?