DIY_WB Data logging?

John & Meleaia McClure jmcclure at sstelco.com
Sat Dec 15 05:41:19 GMT 2001

Thanks for the heads up on the leftover DIY_WB PCB boards and kits....I'm
waiting anxiously for my chance to get one.

(Warning: I'm about to start talking about things I know very little about.)

It looks like the group has the DIY_WB board working since several fellow
have successfully tried it out now....and there are at least a couple of
people working on output displays.  One LED bar graph and another LCD
numeric display.  I was wondering if anyone has thought of some kind of data
logging circuit for the WB 02?

I know Fluke makes some nice DMM's that have logging capabilities, but they
aren't exactly cheap.  And cheap is what I like.  I do have some familiarity
with some SBC's which would have no problem logging the DIY_WB's voltage
signal thru a A/D input board...I'm thinking of PC104...or similar, but this
is kind of overkill just to record one voltage signal vs. time.  I'm looking
at this from the perspective of a drag racer, so the longest sample time I
would really need will be 30-60 seconds max, with a sample rate of 0.5 - 1.0
Hz.  Therefore we're only talking about 60-120 samples to collect.  The
playback part will be tricky I suspect.

My technical background is in Mechanical Engineering so most electronics go
under the "magic smoke" category.  Would an embedded PC chip such as the
Basic STAMP or PIC chips be able to do something like this for a minimum of
$$$$$?  If so, is there some info on the web that would give me a quick
tutorial on how to accomplish this?
It is fairly easy to get a curve fit equation for the 02 volts vs. A/F ratio
curve

Currently I'm using an old IBM 730TE tablet pc running a package called
TurboLink to collect ALDL data during a run.  The developer has an optional
boost sensing harness that uses the IAT connector to hook up a 3 bar map to
get a boost signal into the ALDL stream.  It ~MAY~ be possible to sacrifice
another sensor (I'm thinking that the coolant temp sensor could be given a
"dummy" value of 165degF) to bring the DIY_WB signal into the ALDL.  But
this may not even be practical.  It would be nice to have all the info in
TurboLink though.

On a side note....Within the Buick Grand National community there is a
fellow who makes some pretty nice instrument/gauge enclosures for the GN's.
His work is top notch and most of the parts are engraved with graphics and
text.  He does custom work, so he may be able to fabricate a nice enclosure
for the DIY_WB if we can come up with a drawing of what we want.   Just an
idea...personally I'd rather have a nice looking case sitting on the dash of
my car than a breadboard rat's nest of wires (I'm speaking of my own
handywork and not anyone's on the list).

Sorry for so long.

Thanks,
John