WBO2 testing

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Wed Dec 19 00:34:50 GMT 2001

Measure the voltage across the lamp, and across the
1 ohm resistor.  If the lamp has less than 10 volts (and
the LED is out), you are probably running in the curent
limiting warmup mode.   The resistor will measure
about 1.25 volt in that case.

You probably are using too large a lamp.  With a small
voltage drop across the lamp and maximum current, you
have a large voltage drop (at max current) across the
LT1086.  This heating it up, apparently to the point of
thermal shutdown which dims the light.

I would find a smaller bulb, which should run at 10 V
with reduced voltage across the 1 ohm (crossover to
voltage regulation).  A 2" by 3" heatsink is not very
generous for this application, unless it has a lot of fins.

Bruce Roe