turbo SBC's... was RE: Thanks for the EFI! (off topic)

elcamino73 elcamino73 at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 18 22:32:51 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shannen Durphey" <shannen at grolen.com>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 1998 10:44 PM
Subject: Re: turbo SBC's... was RE: Thanks for the EFI! (off topic)

> Greg Hermann wrote:
>
> > Don't know if they are still doing it for a "cheat", but I know some
NASCAR
> > guys were running mushrooms for a while. Rollers were against the rules,
> > and the tech check was to stick something down the pushrod hole to see
if
> > the lifters would rotate. Mushrooms rotate ! :-)
> >
> Last engine I saw had Ferd lifters.  It's been a few years.
>
> Mebbe them lifters is like the gauges, they is either open or close and
nothing
> in between. ; )
> Shannen

I spoke to the place in Maryland today. He did not think that the mushroom
cam/lifters was an idea he would like to see in my car. He suggested that I
use a flat tappet cam. Guess he thought the $$$$ for a roller would not pay
very big dividends. Had some interesting ideas about many things, many of
them seemed directly apposed to what I have come to feel is the norm. One
thing for sure, I need to make things as sure as possible with this part of
my upgrade. Toooo many benches full of parts. Toooo many new changed and
untried systems on vehicle.

Anyone have opinions of roller cams vs. flat tappet?

Other than the dollar figure, I thought rollers had thing covered hands
down!