Air/Fuel Monitor

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Thu Dec 27 19:20:57 GMT 2001

Nothing wrong with a meter with a needle for a readout.
The main problem is finding a large one that is economical
and available in quantity.  Maybe a DC to pulse circuit
would allow use of a standard Tach meter, with a new
scale of course.

It is possible to double the brightness of the DIY bar
graph with a corresponding increase in power.  Even
this is probably not enough in direct sunlight; a shade
might be needed.

Trying to get a specific reading from a narrow band
OX sensor is difficult; they are usually used in the
switching (never stable) mode.  With a Wide Band
a typical response is some flashing between 3 LEDs
out of 20 covering 14.7:1 to 10:1 A/F.

It certainly is possible to slow down the response
speed of a bar graph to that of a mechanical meter
or even more (a mechanical can be slowed more
too).  I'm working on a simple filter to do this now.
With the high input impedance of the LED display,
it just requires the right capacitors/resistors.  I'll
suggest some specifics after testing, snow may
get in the way.

Bruce Roe