EFI control

James Montebello jamesm at lapuwali.com
Wed Feb 7 20:29:03 GMT 2001

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Eric Bryant wrote:
> Well, I'm an automotive electrical engineer, and I do understand why the
> requirements have evolved to the point where they're at right now.  If
> you're only driving your car on the strip and it's being operated from temps
> ranging from, oh, 40 F to 100 F, and only on dry days, then I can see where
> you don't need the level of engineering that an OEM part provides.

So, since this all started with the SDS system, I looked, and couldn't
find anything on their site about defined temperature or humidity ranges.
Nothing on vibration or shock.  Nothing about using it in a daily driver.
Indeed, they specifically mention that you have to be careful about
using it in any street application.  They're targeting the low-end
racing market.

A quick check of Electromotive's site came up with the same result.

So, I don't see the aftermarket pushing insufficiently tested products
intended for daily-driver use.  I do see them pushing products intended
for enthusiast use.  Same sort of market where exhaust systems that always
need to be bent to fit are sold.  Same sort of market where air filters
that require regular cleaning and oiling are sold.  Same sort of market
where cams are sold that will just barely pass smog, not comfortably,
and only if the rest of the car is in top tune.  Same sort of market
where warranties are 60 days to a year, not 5 years.

You know, the sort of market that lives where the OEMs can't, with much
thinner margins of safety and quality (and profit).  If the OEMs pushed
the envelope as far as the aftermarket did, we'd all need to do a lot
more maintenance and repair work on our cars.  But the OEMs serve a wider
(sloppier, more careless) market than the aftermarket does.

If you took your current attitude and started an aftermarket company to
produce EFI equipment, you'd quickly find yourself out of business.
Give these people a break.

james montebello