EFI control

James Montebello jamesm at lapuwali.com
Thu Feb 8 22:57:36 GMT 2001

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Shirley, Mark R wrote:
> And I can't comment on the Wolf system, I've never seen or heard of it.
> The argument started on the quality of the SDS system's wiring.  That was my
> beef, it's not good enough for it to cost $1000.

Fine.  Don't buy it.  Lots of people do and are perfectly happy with it.
If you're not, then buy something else, or build something else.
Ragging on SDS for building a product that fills a market niche
at a price that people are perfectly willing to pay is unwarranted.
If you're so unhappy about it, then I invite you to compete with them,
so you can discover just how badly they're ripping everyone off with
their overpriced, underengineered junk (that's sarcasm, btw).

As I said before, please build an ECU that meets the quality standards of
a big OEM and sell it for the same price as SDS.  Really.  You'll bankrupt
yourself, but a few lucky people will get a nice new ECU cheap at your
expense before you run out of money.

> And I disagree with someones' comment that engineering types don't have a
> grip on marketing/sales.  You can teach an engineer to market and sell
> product, you cannot teach a salesman to engineer something, unless he's
> already smart enough to get an engineering degree on his own.

That was my comment.

I'm also an engineer, but I'm not so arrogant as to think that all people
involved in the marketing and sales sides are idiots.  There are plenty
of small business run by an engineer that's also serving as salesman,
accountant, support, etc.  There are plenty of salesmen out there
with engineering degrees.  There are plenty of engineers with MBAs.
There are also plenty of engineers (esp. at big engineering companies)
who haven't a clue about how to survive as a small businessman.

james montebello