Honda Direct Fire Coils

Jörgen Karlsson jurg at pp.sbbs.se
Sun Feb 25 12:05:35 GMT 2001

James Ballenger wrote:

Electromotive uses a cam wheel for sequential fuel injection as I understand
it.Their ignition system is extremely powerful and effective, they are great
units.  The Haltech E6S-8 (fuel & ignition) has 5 outputs also.  If I used 4
for ignition it would only leave me one for fuel  Ideally I would have 4 for
ign, 4 for fuel, 2 thermofan outputs, 1 ignition kill, and a few more
things... As it stands I did 2 for fuel, 2 for ign and 1 thermofan and I am
all out!  Honda must use that second cam sensor for something else.... VTEC?

-----------

There are no timing issues with the VTEC, it is simply an oil pressure
operated sliding rods that locks the three lifters together. There are three
cam lobes for each cylinder. One of te vavles are only opened a bit at low
rpm, the otherone is opened a bit more. At the next step (around 5500) they
seem to be connected with each other and the center lifter that has pretty
aggressive lift and timing.

I don't think that electromotive is capable of doing sequential injection,
they should have mentioned it on their site if they were.

I can't remember if the B16/18 a/b/c VTEC engine has a crank trigger, but I
think that all timing is taken from the distributor. I have only seen
pictures of the Electromotive kit for the honda, they simply replace the
distributor with their own trigger assembly.

Jörgen Karlsson
Gothenburg, Sweden.