DIY flowbench?

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Thu Jul 5 02:45:11 GMT 2001

>  Anyone done anything in thid area?  I just broke rings or lands in my Sy
>  engine's #1 cylinder, which I hear is notorious for this.  Was thinking of
>  a vacuum cleaner applied to the port side each passage of the bare manifold
>  & measuring vacuum produced there.  Could use a manometer or a MAP sensor;
>  idea is to equalize flow between runers.

Hi Barry,
This may / may-not apply, but I just had a syclone 4.3 flash back.
When I tore my engine down for a re-ring at 40k miles. I noticed
that the 2 cylinders with the non-siamesed intake ports had
more evidence of heat than the other 4 did.  The exhaust valves
all had some deposits, but the ones on the cylinders in question
had much harder deposits, which took much more work to remove.
The syclone manifold is like a shorty  tunnel ram, except for the
"hole-in-the-wall" in between two ports on each head, which I
believe disrupted flow to 4 of the 6 cylinders in the engine.
The 2 cylinders with a "complete" intake port flow a little more
air, but still use the same injector as the bogus ports. (theory)
I believe the lean cylinders were 1 & 6, which would coincide
with your results.
Now, after all of that, do your newer heads have the recessed wall
between the siamesed ports as the original syclone heads did?
I used Moroso racer poxie to build up the divider so that it resemble
a typical SBC port.
Mike V