Honda/NTK O2 sensor (redux)

Glenn & Debbie Woodhouse gwoodhouse2 at home.com
Fri Jul 6 14:49:23 GMT 2001

Barry and Dan,

I bought my sensor through NAPA with a direct cross to the Honda p/n.  There
was no Bosch cross and that concerns me a bit with the www.thepartsbin.com
part that Barry referenced.  In fact I do not believe that Bosch builds an
ion pumping based sensor, which produces a variable current output, so how
can there be a cross?  Bosch's wideband sensor (the LSM11) produces a
variable voltage output with exhaust temp. correction performed
programatically using a 3D lookup table in the ECM based on change in sensor
resistance (temp.).  Is it possible that NTK has licensed Bosch to build
this sensor as well?  I can't definitively say that I know that Bosch
doesn't have other WB technology.  On the www.thepartsbin.com site if you
drill down through the particular vehicle menus, the California version of
the VX is a NTK sensor ($94.78) versus the non-Cal which is a Bosch.

Dan, what you are calling a connector in the middle of the harness is a
rubber grommet, used for securing the wiring to a bracket or such in the
Civic.  If you know what vehicle it came out of or have a p/n you can call
NTK tech support in Michigan, (248) 926-6900, for further information on
this sensors capabilities.  I have received very straight answers from John
McQuarry (not sure of spelling on last name), unlike the Japanese
counterparts at NTK.  The fact that your sensor does not have a calibration
resistor is suspicious.

Good luck, Glenn.