egt probe location

David Hunt bamainc at home.com
Sun Jul 8 04:08:08 GMT 2001

The gas loss from exhaust port to header flange is on the order of 100
degrees F.  The cooling is due to loss through the metal to the air AND gas
expansion.  Remember that after the header you can hold your hand in the
exhaust stream (though not too long and not at WOT.)  At the header such
things as road speed (and cooling air) greatly change the measurement.

BTW head cooling will greatly affect an external sensor too close to the
head.  Double edged sword,  lower measurement temps but lower change in
temp.

dh