DIY flowbench?

John Dammeyer johnd at autoartisans.com
Wed Jul 11 15:33:26 GMT 2001

Furnace Blowers use a squirrel cage impellor which don't work well under
load. Their performace drops dramatically as either the intake or
exhaust is blocked.

For example I am now using centrifugal blower for my foundry furnace
after changing from using an identically sized squirrel cage which I
found didn't have enough oomph. The centrifigual unit also runs at half
the RPM.  (as an aside I melt 4 lbs of Aluminum using propane in about
13 minutes.)

I'd also look at drawing air from the cylinder head side rather than
blowing from the throttle plate side which is why I suggested the
sawdust extraction system.

John