Maximum advance

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at home.com
Wed Jul 11 22:44:45 GMT 2001

> On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Jurgen Hartwig wrote:
> > Who has bought one of the Optrand in-cylinder pressure transducers?
>
> As soon as I can find myself a good Data Aq. card, I'm going to get
> one. I spoke to some of their engineers at SAE, and it seems pretty fail
> safe. The problem is that I'm too cheap - the new motor will have AL
> heads, not iron, so it'll use a different spark plug, and I'd rather not
> burn up $200 for the next month.
>
> > If you installed one, this would allow you to determine the correct
ignition
> > advance, correct?
>
> Sure, among other things like fuel maps, and you could probably
> analytically get rid of the small things like the minute tip-in stumble I
> have,
> etc...
>
>  >
> > Optrand wants like $200 to install a sensor into a spark plug, and some
> > extra dough for the interface.  I don't know the numbers off the top of
my
> > head.  Seems like it would be a good tool for setting up modified
engines
> > with different internals.
>
> The module was $600, IIRC. If anyone has it, I'd love to hear feedback.
>
> Andris
> 89 Z28tt
> http://www.skulte.com/turbo.html

Kistler would be another option for such spark plug transducers.  If you are
going to go the route of a transducer(s) and a DAQ system of sufficient
quality to suit, then why not go one step further and add a crank angle
resolver/encoder to one of the DAQ channels.  Then you could
programmatically combine the pressure transducer data together with the
crank angle data, to create a pressure-volume (PV) diagram for a given
cylinder.  Then you would have a good visual representation of the entire
cylinder experience, including peak combustion pressures and phasing of
same.  The number of things you can deduce from a PV diagram are endless.

Walt.