Maximum advance

Axel Rietschin Axel_Rietschin at compuserve.com
Thu Jul 12 21:54:51 GMT 2001

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Walter Sherwin wrote:
> > Kistler would be another option for such spark plug transducers.
>
> True, but they are just about an order of magnitude more expensive - $2k
> plus per sensor, I thought.
>
> > quality to suit, then why not go one step further and add a crank angle
> > resolver/encoder to one of the DAQ channels.  Then you could
> > programmatically combine the pressure transducer data together with the
> > crank angle data, to create a pressure-volume (PV) diagram for a given
> > cylinder.
>
> That's the plan! I figure catching detonation would at least be step one
> :)

For less money you put your engine on a dyno and you tune it the old
fashioned way, using your ears as sensors and your brain as signal
processor. Quite effective. Expensive transducers won't really help you tune
on the road anyway and, IMHO, are not really required unless you are
developing, say, a new head of your own or do serious engine research, or
maybe if you ECU can actually use them.

-Axel