Maximum advance

skulte skulte at skulte.com
Thu Jul 12 23:02:44 GMT 2001

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Axel Rietschin wrote:
> > That's the plan! I figure catching detonation would at least be step one
> > :)
>
> For less money you put your engine on a dyno and you tune it the old
> fashioned way, using your ears as sensors and your brain as signal
> processor. Quite effective. Expensive transducers won't really help you tune
> on the road anyway and, IMHO, are not really required unless you are
> developing, say, a new head of your own or do serious engine research, or
> maybe if you ECU can actually use them.

True, but my major drawback is that the nearest chassis dyno is about an
hour away, and they all seem to charge $75-$125/hr for strap down time. I
could easily spend over $1000 on dyno time alone. With the pressure sensor
you can see what the results are during combustion. The PV diagram should
let you get the timing and fuel spot on. I get frustrated on
the dyno sometimes since I don't know if I have too much timing, or not
enough, etc.

A.