Mazda rotaries. Pre mix and octane reduction

dom dom at criticalpath.com
Sun Jul 15 12:43:18 GMT 2001

Actually many of the ITA teams go 1-2 seasons on the same NA rotary motor.
The pisston guys rebuild every race or 2. Also Chris was asking about
turbocharged application, when any detonation can take out an apex seal.
Also none of the pre mix that I am aware of has any octane boosters.

As for Chris' questions, 100:1 lowers the octane by about .2 . FWIW, I
premix in my 3rd gen with a Haltech, because I think the OEM oil injection
location is a compromise. Also, why would you want to burn dirty engine oil,
When you can run a nice syntheic premix that was designed to burn clean.
There are some disadvantages to premix, it is inconvenant, messy, leaves
crap on your bumper and you can't adjust the mixture dependant on load.
-Dom