Mazda rotaries. Pre mix and octane reduction

Andrew R. Ghali andrewg at 16paws.com
Mon Jul 16 18:29:10 GMT 2001

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001 16:53:53 +0200, "Jorgen_Karlsson" <jorgen.m.karlsson at home.se> wrote:

>How is the oil system controlled by the stock computer, can't an aftermarket
>computer supply a suitable signal?

As I understand it, the electronic oil metering pump is a stepper motor,
which means that the ECU must drive the four windings in a precise sequence
to get the pump to operate correctly.  The drive sequence to the windings
is run forward to inject more oil, and reversed to inject less.  It also has
a position sensor so the stock ECU can tell when it's set properly and when
it breaks.  It's a fairly complex system that I do not believe any after-
market computer has implemented.  The system was first installed on the
Series V Rx-7's (89-91), which I just verified in my '89 workshop manual.

Hope this helps.

Andrew