Running rich

dave.johnson at gb.abb.com dave.johnson at gb.abb.com
Thu Jul 19 07:14:33 GMT 2001

I wonder if there are any views on this.....

I have a Kawasaki GPz1100A1 (ZX1100) which has F.I. as standard but is
constantly running rich. Confirmed by the plugs being a definite sooty
black. Unfortunately, I don't have means to test O2 or CO exhaust content.

The only sensors monitoring the engine are engine temp, air temp, throttle
position and engine speed.
These all check out OK and appear to be within tolerances.

As I see it and all things being equal, I've come to the conclusion that
either the fuel pressure is too high or the atmospheric pressure sensor in
the ECU is giving an incorrect reading.

Assuming that the fuel pressure is OK (it has a non-adjustable fuel
regulator anyway) what kind of impact would a defective atmospheric
pressure sensor have on the fuelling content? I thought this was really a
correction for altitude and didn't have a major effect but I may be wrong.

In view of the limited number of inputs that are needed for this ECU, does
anyone have any opinions as to what would cause consistent over-fuelling?

Regards
Dave Johnson