Dyno testing turbo cars

Flanagan, Steve Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com
Mon Jul 23 15:17:46 GMT 2001

If I have recorded data for my car (RPM, Driveshaft, G-meter) how can I
calculate the Torque and HP curves given this data.

Does anyone know the formulas and physics involved?

thanks

steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce [mailto:nacelp at bright.net]
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2001 6:32 PM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: Dyno testing turbo cars

For anything serious, you just have to go to the track.
For safety and accuracy, it's the only way to really figure out where you're
at.
For the higher HP cars, you really need to be in a high (not necessarily
high) gear to really load the engine, and have the temps stabilized.
  For tuning, it seems the G-Tech is about as good as you can get
commercially.   Yes, there are more expensive units, but the GTech, from all
I've heard is darn good.
  For my C3 stuff I use a stopwatch running off of the VSS.  Perfect, no,
enough to notice trends, yes.
Bruce

From: Hugh
Subject: Dyno testing turbo cars
Dyno testing is an expensive hobby and seems to be hard on the engine and
transmission. I also feel the temperatures especially on turbo cars rise so
quickly that any tuning modifications are likely to be inaccurate.
These software packages all allow you to Dyno your car on the road, allowing
you to set your car up in normal operating temperatures.
Any thoughts / comments, I want to go for one but am not sure which is best.
Hugh